Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thing 21 The Flickr Fear Factor

I can certainly understand the fear that surrounds some things that could happen with Flickr in libraries, however, I think if we look hard enough we could find something scary about a lot of things that we have in libraries. When photos are tagged properly and thoughtfully, the power of Flickr becomes tremendous. Flickr can be a great learning tool to show children how important good indexing/tagging can be. I think we all learn a little more about tagging and the need to be careful when we put in search terms and find things that are not at all things that meet our search criteria.

I work a lot with photos and I can see the value of not only having access to several photos at one site, but of also being able to search those photos and find relevant results.

The communities that emerge as a result of Flickr can be as developed as the members choose to make them.

No comments: