Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thing 12 IM @VBPL

My experience with VBPL was great. The librarian answered all of my questions promptly. I think if staffing is adequate IM and reference work can go hand in hand. I would hope that at some time in the future we would have the ability to have people working reference anywhere at anytime.

I don't know what percent of the population uses IM, however, I think we need to provide the service regardless. We reach the world with our website and we need to consider that there are a lot of people who may like to contact us this way. I recently contacted a library in another state using IM because I knew that they would readily have the information that I needed.

1 comment:

Fran C said...

IMing the librarian will catch on as more people learn of it and learn how useful it is. I showed it to my daughter in college. She tried it herself for some homework help - saved a walk across campus in the rain. She liked the idea and told her friends.